Kerberos+LDAP: kadmin.local and kadmin show different principals

Nick Triantos nick at triantos.com
Thu Jan 13 00:18:34 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to configure an Ubuntu system with MIT Kerberos (v1.8.1), with LDAP as the storage back-end (Sun OpenDS v2.2.1).  I see a very odd behavior, where my host entries only show up when I list principals using 'kadmin.local', but not when I use 'kadmin'.  From what I read, the two should behave identically if kadmin.local uses the same principal to connect.

Here's what I see from the two tools.  Notice the "host/..." principal in the kadmin.local case.

root at hydrogen:/etc/krb5kdc# kadmin -p nick/admin
Authenticating as principal nick/admin with password.
Password for nick/admin at EXAMPLE.NET:
kadmin:  list_principals
ben at EXAMPLE.NET
nick at EXAMPLE.NET
nick/admin at EXAMPLE.NET
K/M at EXAMPLE.NET
krbtgt/EXAMPLE.NET at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/admin at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/changepw at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/history at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/hydrogen at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin:  ^D

root at hydrogen:/etc/krb5kdc# kadmin.local -p nick/admin
Authenticating as principal nick/admin with password.
kadmin.local:  list_principals
host/myhost.example.net at EXAMPLE.NET        <=== Not listed above
ben at EXAMPLE.NET
nick at EXAMPLE.NET
nick/admin at EXAMPLE.NET
K/M at EXAMPLE.NET
krbtgt/EXAMPLE.NET at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/admin at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/changepw at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/history at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin/hydrogen at EXAMPLE.NET
kadmin.local:  ^D

When I look at the LDAP logs, the two commands behave quite differently.  My realm has two search trees

root at hydrogen:/etc/krb5kdc# kdb5_ldap_util -D "cn=directory manager" view
Password for "cn=directory manager":
               Realm Name: EXAMPLE.NET
                  Subtree: ou=computers,dc=example,dc=net
                  Subtree: ou=users,dc=example,dc=net

>From looking at the LDAP logs, it looks like kadmin never even queries the first subtree shown above.

Does kadmin expect different parameters to be set in krb5.conf than kadmin.local would?  The man page implies the two behave very similarly.

Any advice welcome.  I'm really pretty stumped, though I'm also a pretty novice Kerberos admin.

thanks,
-Nick