Kerberos5 + SSH Questions

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Jan 4 07:17:43 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 07:31:37PM +0800, Lee Eric wrote:
> So how do I know what client/server gets the idea of the server host
> name? It looks like reverse map works well and they can get the same
> IP/Address.

On the server, type "hostname". If it returns anything other than
ns.herdingcat.internal, correct it. Depending on your O/S this may be
something like

# echo "ns.herdingcat.internal" >/etc/hostname
# hostname ns.herdingcat.internal

On both the client and server, check that

$ dig ns.herdingcat.internal
$ dig -x 172.16.14.1

give the right results (names maps to IP, and IP maps to name).

Check /etc/hosts on both machines. Either there should be no entry for this
box, or if there is one, the FQDN should be the first listed name.

172.16.14.1 ns.herdingcat.internal     # OK
172.16.14.1 ns.herdingcat.internal ns  # OK
172.16.14.1 ns ns.herdingcat.internal  # WRONG

Regards,

Brian.