Primary server with MIT Kerberos and slave with Heimdal

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 26 21:04:12 EST 2011

carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> writes:

>   Is it possible to have a primary KDC with MIT kerberos and a slave KDC
> with Heimdal (FreeBSD)? Are compatible to replicate data, sign on, etc??

Yes, but it's not entirely straightforward.  The database propagation
protocol is not compatible, but the dump format for MIT can be loaded by
Heimdal.  What we did while running a mixed realm was to install kpropd on
the Heimdal slave and configure it to save the dump file to disk and then
run hprop on it to load it, which worked reasonably well.