missing parameters in krb5-conf

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Feb 4 14:17:07 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 03:51:00AM -0800, ankur wrote:
> hello,
> I am very new to kerberos authentication.
>
> I have installed the krb5-user utility. i am getting the tickets from
> the server. But when i start the kdamin utility it says missing
> parameters in krb5-conf.

Yep, kadmin needs to be configured explicitly (in krb5.conf) with the
location of the master KDC. e.g.

        EXAMPLE.COM = {
            kdc = kdc1.example.com
            kdc = kdc2.example.com
            admin_server = kdc1.example.com
        }

At some point in the future it may be able to pick this up from DNS SRV
records instead, or be able to specify it on the kadmin command line - but
neither of those options works today.