client side password store best practices?

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Tue Aug 9 19:34:49 EDT 2011

Ah, awesome, thanks!

I was deep in the KDC looking to see if it returned the client kvno
anywhere, and found this in do_as_req:

     errcode = krb5_encode_kdc_rep(kdc_context, KRB5_AS_REP,
				 &reply_encpart,
                                  0, as_encrypting_key,  &reply,
				 response);
     reply.enc_part.kvno = client_key->key_data_kvno;

which--obviously just to mock me--puts the client's kvno into the reply
_after_ it's been encoded into the response.  :)

> keytab entry with the most recent kvno, since the KDC doesn't
> mention the kvno during an AS exchange.

I think I'm confused about the kvno, then.  Is that because the KDC will
always use the latest kvno, so the code just sends the latest it's got
and hopes it works (and if not, it means the keytab needs updating)?
But, for other kinds of stuff, like decoding tickets from clients, the
server checks the kvno since that's what allows tickets older than a
recently changed key to still work?

Thanks,
Chris