Multiple hostnames with same IP address (DNS A record)

Dan Peterson dbpete at frontier.com
Wed Apr 27 14:29:29 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Brian Candler wrote:

> I suggest you try having only have a single PTR record, to whatever is
> the "primary" hostname.
>
> However what you've done would be acceptable if the machine was multi-homed
> (with two different IP addresses):

Yes... both are possible options.  Unfortunately I don't control the DNS
and I'm told the DNS is "correct".  I'm trying to convince those that
control the DNS something needs to change, but that's really just a
work-around.  It's not addressing my real question...

I'm trying to understand WHY this doesn't work given the current
situation, ie, 2 hostnames and 1 IP address.

If it works from an OS X client, why doesn't it work from a linux client?

>> There are "host" principals for both hostnames in /etc/krb5.keytab
>
> Do they have the same key? (Again, it shouldn't matter when
> GSSAPIStrictAcceptorCheck is no, but just a thought)

The same "key"?  Not sure what you mean.  They are completely separate
host principals but they are in the same keytab.  This is how I've done it
for a true multi-homed host (ie separate IP addresses) and it works fine.