kdb5_ldap_util does not read kdc.conf

Tom Parker tparker at cbnco.com
Wed Sep 22 16:59:26 EDT 2010

  Good afternoon

I am wondering if there is a reason that the kdb5_ldap_util is ignoring
the configuration I have for my kdc in
/var/lib/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf and instead looking for it in
/etc/krb5.conf.

 From what I understand the /etc/krb5.conf contains mostly client
settings and kdc.conf contains the settings for the krb5kdc and kadmin
daemons.  Once I have everything set up the krb5kdc reads the kdc.conf
file correctly but to get my initial database created I need to
duplicate the settings in kdc.conf to /etc/krb5.conf for the
kdb5_ldap_util tool.

Is this a bug?  Or am I wrong in my assumptions about the two files.

I would like to keep them separate because I can use the same
/etc/krb5.conf file on all my clients as long as I use SRV records for
the kdcs.

Thanks

Tom