MIT kdc with Windows 7 pc

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:56:23 EDT 2010

Hi there.

I have tried to configure a Windows 7 machine to use our kerberos
realm. The KDC is MIT krb5 1.7.1.

When I try to login using my kerberos principal ; I get an error that
there are no logon server available.

In the Windows 7 logs, I see the error:
"The digitally signed Privilege Attribute Certificate (PAC) that
contains the authorization information for client jeanyves_avenard in
realm M.DOMAIN.COM could not be validated.

 This error is usually caused by domain trust failures; please contact
your system administrator."

In the kdc logs, I can see that something is authenticating. Passwords
seem okay as if I type an incorrect password for my username, i get an
error about the password being incorrect.

Once I enter the right password, I get the error above.

I read http://www.faqs.org/faqs/kerberos-faq/general/ and about the
PAC microsoft put in. But it's a 10 years old article, not sure how
relevant it is today.

Am I to understand that it is not currently possible to authenticate
on a windows machine using a MIT kerberos KDC ? It would be a good
windows domain replacement

Kerberos from Windows seem to work fine, and I could use the
credential with Firefox.

And comments on the matter?

Thank you
JY