AW: Different behaviour of mod_auth_kerb depending on kerberos stack

Beier Michael M.Beier at enbw.com
Tue Oct 19 16:19:43 EDT 2010

This approves a note in the following guide I found at microsoft:

"You cannot map multiple service instances to the same user account."

But on the other hand: we ARE currently running a setup with ~ 300 services shared in only a few accounts. The only limitation seems to be, that this only works with heimdal. It would be a gigantic effort to create separate accounts for each service - and that without impact on the running services. So at the moment using heimdal on sles11 would be the better option.

My questions are now:
1) Will the following setup work?

keytab 1 will be generated for an account containing spn HTTP/hostname.enbw.net.
keytab 2 will be generated for an account containing spn HTTP/virtualhost.enbw.net
keytab x will be generated for an account containing spn HTTP/virtualhostx.enbw.net

We have to create one "big merged" keytab file, containing all generated above, which will be used by mod_auth_kerb.

2) Firefox will always deliver the ticket for service HTTP/hostname.enbw.net - no matter which virtualhost is accessed?

3) Am I right, that the MIT kerberos implementation checks, if the referenced keytab file contains the service requested by the client and that this behaviour can not be changed?

Best regards,
Michael