passwd, kpasswd

thom_schu@gmx.de thom_schu at gmx.de
Tue May 4 13:03:56 EDT 2010

Hi there,
I just installed a Kerberos5-Server to use for authentication on hosts via ssh (all hosts + server are Linux-machines). An Entry in the Kerberos-Database for the user is not enough, the user also must have an account on the host he wants to log in (right now a shadow-passwd, but later I want ldap).
But this means, the user has 2 passwords, one in the Kerberos-Database, another one in shadow-passwd. The user can change his Kerberos-password with kpasswd and the account-password with passwd.
But I would like that the user changes both passwords using only passwd - is this possible ?
I tested some different configurations in /etc/pam.d/common-password, the last one was :

password        requisite       pam_pwcheck.so  nullok cracklib
password        required        pam_unix2.so    nullok
password        required        pam_krb5.so     nullok

But never it was a clear solution, sometimes I didnt even know what was going on. For instance after the user changed the password, but then the Kerberos-login didnt work anymore, I got errors like "wrong principal in request" or the user couldn't login anymore with the normal login when he "came" from outside the realm.

Can someone give me some help how to make a clean solution ?

thanks

gizmo11