Win 2008R2 kdc and linux client: no support for encryption type while getting initial credentials

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Mar 10 10:42:21 EST 2010

Your problem is more of an OpenAFS problem in how it has to use
DES. You should be ask on the OpenAFS list, as there
have been similar issues before on setting up the afs/cell
principal.

Lars Schimmer wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>>

>>> What user are you using with the kinit?
>
> I did used the users with "use DES enctypes" enabled.

Only the AD account for the afs and afs/cell principals
need to have DES. All others can use the defaults.

> Now I tried with the users without this function enabled and I get
> tickets. But no tokens :-(
> Error:
> adiotest:~# kinit schimmer
> Password for schimmer at CGV.TUGRAZ.AT:
> adiotest:~# aklog
> aklog: Couldn't get cgv.tugraz.at AFS tickets:
> aklog: unknown RPC error (-1765328370) while getting AFS tickets
> adiotest:~# tokens

aklog -d   will show some debug output.

What versions of OpenAFS and Kerberos are running on the client?

You also said in a previous note:

> I set on the Win 2008R2:
> - - Add a REG_DWORD (32 bit) named KdcUseRequestedEtypesForTickets with
> value 1 at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\kdc.
> - - In the DC's Local Security Policy, I enabled all ciphers by checking
> all 6 boxes at Security Settings \ Local Policies \ Security Options \
> "Network security: Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos"
> - - I set "use DES enctypes" for some test users (it was enabled for the
> afs service principal)

I don't recall asking our AD admin to make these registry changes in 2008
to get AFS to work. This may be your problem. It may override
the ADS_UF_USE_DES_KEY_ONLY in the UserAccountControl attribute in the account.

On the afs service account what are the values of the
msDS-SupportedEncryptionTypes, UserAccountControl and msDS-KeyVersionNumber
attributes?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223853(PROT.13).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680832(VS.85).aspx

> But I need DES enctypes.
>
>>> Does a network trace show anything?
>
> Not so far yet.

Wireshark can show the AS-REQ when aklog requests the ticket
for afs/afs/cgv.tugraz.at, and the AS-REP or ERROR packet returned.