Any way to propagate db

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Wed Jun 2 15:22:00 EDT 2010

Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> writes:
>> Ah sorry, I thought he wanted to use them as completely alternative
>> users. If you do map each MIT principal to an existing Windows user then
>> it does work, although it seem to make sense only as a transition tool
>> to me.
>
> It's the way that we have our production realms at Stanford configured and
> have for quite some time.  For large sites, I'm a big advocate of running
> both AD and UNIX KDCs with cross-realm trust and making them
> interchangeable from the user perspective.  It gives you lots of useful
> flexibility in deploying applications.

I advocate just using the Active Directory realm.  It is much, much simpler
to troubleshoot when there is no cross-realm invovled, especially when
different groups operate the different realms.

Other than some solvable issues of generating keytabs on non-Windows
platforms, I can't think of a reason why someone would want to make more
work for themselves with multiple realms.

What problem are you trying to solve by setting up a cross-realm trust?

<<CDC