kerberos, pre_auth, and smartcards

Kevin Coffman kwc at umich.edu
Tue Jul 27 16:05:50 EDT 2010

PKINIT is one of many methods of pre-authentication.  Does the KDC
response to the client with "Additional pre-authentication required"
include PKINIT as an allowed pre-auth method?  (You'll probably need a
packet trace to determine this.)  If not, there is something wrong
with your KDC setup and it cannot process PKINIT.  If PKINIT pre-auth
is not available, then the next default is Timestamp which will prompt
for your password.

You should start with the KDC side and make sure it is correctly
configured and offering PKINIT as an acceptable pre-auth.  This may
require re-building the PKINIT plugin with -DDEBUG defined to get more
information.

K.C.