Using k5start with replacement init daemons

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:59:31 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl> wrote:

> And if that's not bad enough, what can be done for all those laptop users
> out there who are used to managing their network connections from their
> desktops? In such cases, there may not be a network connection until
> after they log in. Personally, I'd first login as root, establish the
> appropriate network connection from the command line and then run k5start
> before switching back to xdm, gmd, or kdm, but that's not something we
> can expect normal users to feel comfortable with. All I can think of is
> that something be built into xdm, gdm and kdm to allow the network
> connections (including wireless) to be managed before users log in.

apparently sssd https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ should take care of that.

I read this recently:
http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Caching_password__user_and_group_on_a_roaming_Debian_laptop.html
; I do not know if you can use it (and if you do, please do write a
nice document to add to your nice howto debian collection ;-) ).

--
natxo