URG: Details abt Kerberos

vinay kumar winay.l at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 12:51:21 EST 2010

*Hi,*

      I am new to kerberos, I have been asked to setup KDC, kerberos client
and application server. Using these i have to capture AP_REQ, AP_REP, AS_REQ
and AS_REP in wireshark. I have two systems both are working on Red Hat
Linux. I downloaded Kerberos from MIT version 5. I went through installation
and user guide of kerberos. I successfully constructed KDC server and able
to capture AS_REQ and AS_REP, but i was not able to setup kerberos client
and application server. *I have few doubts like can application server and
client can be on the same system?
How client machine differs from application server?
Is client recognized by IP address or Principal by the KDC?
For configuration setting we need to modify /etc/inetd.conf but this file is
not there in Red Hat, so which file to edit?
What exactly client means (I have understood it as a system on which u can
get ticket for any principal in that realm)?
What exactly application server means(I have confusion like ftp, telnet ...
etc are available on client system only, then what is the function of
application server)?
What is the difference between host and usernames?
*Plz help me by showing how to configure client and application
server.*Kindly help me out. Waiting for ur reply.

Regards,
Vinay

*