krb 1.6.x null pointer deref in krb5_get_init_creds_password

Bert Barbe bert.barbe at oracle.com
Fri Jan 15 12:55:20 EST 2010

Hi all,

In function  krb5_get_init_creds_password  there is the following test:

    /* historically the default has been to prompt for password change.
     * if the change password prompt option has not been set, we continue
     * to prompt.  Prompting is only disabled if the option has been set
     * and the value has been set to false.
     */
    if (!(options->flags & KRB5_GET_INIT_CREDS_OPT_CHG_PWD_PRMPT))
        goto cleanup;

We experienced a segmentation fault in this function (from openldap's
slapd) , which after investigation appeared
to be because options is NULL in the above test. The obvious fix would
be to test for a NULL value of options.

This happened in krb 1.6.1 but I verified the same test is also present
in 1.6.4-beta1.

Kind regards;
Bert Barbé

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Bert Barbé | Principal Software Developer