remctld on windows

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Fri Feb 26 22:46:15 EST 2010

Jason Edgecombe <jason at rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
> Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>> Jason Edgecombe <jason at rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
>>> We want to have a tool for our help desk students to list and kill
>>> processes for other users on workstations along with being able to
>>> trigger a remote shutdown or reboot.
>>
>> Tasklist.exe, taskkill.exe and shutdown.exe are already on Windows
>> systems and already do this, assuming you have the proper admin share
>> access enabled on the remote system.
>>
>> The more generic psexec.exe is available from sysinternals:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
>> and the Linux version of it at:
>> http://eol.ovh.org/winexe/
>>
>> There is also the wmic.exe command and its associated options:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742610.aspx
>
> Can this be run by non-priviledged used without needing the admin
> password?
> I need a kind of remote sudo to do the task list and such, preferably
> cross-platform. We have an in-house system that I would like to
> replace for various reasons.

I am fairly certain you can grant the ability to "force shutdown from a
remote system" without needing a user to be in the Administrators group
on a system.  Not sure about the other commands.  I'd hope not just
anyone could start killing my processes though, that would be bad.

-----

You could have remctld on non-windows call commands using
http://eol.ovh.org/winexe/ with the appropriate parameters passed in.
This actually might be simpler as you could keep the credentials used
for authentication on the single system running remctld and ACL commands
there to subsets of computers instead of needing to configure remctld on
every computer.

In theory the user on the remctl side only needs permission to make the
call through remctld and it will have embedded credentials to access the
system.

<<CDC