remctld on windows

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 25 20:54:02 EST 2010

Jason Edgecombe <jason at rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> I noticed that remctld is not supported on windows. Is it possible to
> run on windows XP? It would be ideal for some in-house programs that are
> needed. what issues are involved when running remctld on windows?

remctld relies heavily on UNIX fork and select semantics and will not run
on native Windows of any variety.  I'm not sure it would even work on
Cygwin.  However, the server component of the Java implementation should
work on Windows provided that the same security classes are available.

The first step to getting the server to work natively on Windows would be
to move the network protocol components of the server into a library.
This is on my to-do list, but I have no ETA (not soon).