Kerberos for Subversion

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 8 13:15:21 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 16:20 -0500, Edward Murrell wrote:
> Kerberos isn't specifically built into SVN, it's handled by the carrier
> protocol, which is usually SSH or HTTP. Depending on what you're using,
> you'll need to setup Kerberos in OpenSSH or your webserver.

Actually, as of Subversion 1.5, svnserve and ra_svn (the "svn://"
prefix, as opposed to "svn+ssh") can use Cyrus SASL.  So you can
conceivably use Kerberos authentication with any of the network
transports (http, svn, or svn+ssh).  If you want to use the built-in
ra_svn support, the following may be of use:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/notes/sasl.txt

I've never personally set it up that way.  You may have better luck
getting support on the Subversion users list if you run into problems.