Microsoft Active Directory / PKINIT

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Aug 12 15:36:27 EDT 2010

On 8/12/2010 6:26 AM, Tim Alsop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if/when Microsoft Active Directory will support PKINIT (RFC 4556). I understand that all versions of MS AD supports draft-9 of PKINIT, but not sure if the RFC is implemented/supported ?
>
> Also, I am interested to know about interoperability between the draft-9 implementation and the RFC 4556 implementation. For example, does the PKINIT included in the MIT code, which is RFC compliant interoperate with MS AD (draft-9) ?
>
> Any info you have on this is appreciated.

Have you looked at the Microsoft KILE document? It does list RFC 4556
and PA-PK-AS-REP [17] and refers to PA-PK-AS-REP_OLD (15)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc233964(v=PROT.13).aspx

In the KRB5-ERROR e-data, padata, I see what Wireshark refers to as
PA-PK-AS-REP (15), but not 17.

We have mixed 2008 and 2003 DC so for backwards compatibility it might
only present PA-PK-AS-REP (17) only if all the servers are 2008.