UDP and fragmentation

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 3 16:35:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 01:42 -0400, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Please tell me how on earth does the KDC know that the packet has been
> fragmented? Packets are fragmented and reassembled on the network
> level (IP level), the fragmentation process should be opaque to UDP
> and the application, shouldn't it?

Yes, it should.

It's possible that there are cases where one IP-layer network device
fragments the packets and another IP-layer network device throws away
fragments (if the fragments are received out of order, or all of the
time).  But the KDC process does not care whether a UDP packet was
fragmented or not.