What does this error mean?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 26 13:35:38 EDT 2010

Pat Lalonde <Pat.Lalonde at entrust.com> writes:

> We get this error frequently, where can I find help on it?
> [2010/04/26 09:37:18, 1] libads/kerberos_verify.c:(302)
>   ads_verify_ticket: krb5_init_context failed (Too many open files)

This isn't really a Kerberos error; rather, it indicates that you've run
out of underlying operating system resources for your process.
krb5_init_context has to open various files (most notably krb5.conf) and
you're out of available file descriptors in that process.  You may be able
to increase the limit with ulimit.