no renewable flag in krb5.conf ?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:23:42 EDT 2010

Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr> writes:

> I just realized than it was possible to force forwardable tickets
> through krb5.conf, but not renewable ones. Is it intentional ?

> For instance, the following doesn't work as expected:
> [appdefaults]
>  pam = {
>   forwardable = true
>   renewable = true
>  }

I assume that you're using my PAM module here, since I think it's the only
one that looks at [appdefaults].pam.  (I could be wrong, though; maybe the
Red Hat one does as well.)  Anyway, for mine, you want to use
renew_lifetime, not renewable:

   renew_lifetime=<lifetime>
       Obtain renewable tickets with a maximum renewable lifetime of
       <lifetime>.  <lifetime> should be a Kerberos lifetime string such
       as "2d4h10m" or a time in minutes.  If set, this overrides the
       Kerberos library default set in the [libdefaults] section of
       krb5.conf.

       This option can be set in krb5.conf and is only applicable to the
       auth group.

Or as mentioned you can also set this in [libdefaults], where it will also
affect kinit and similar programs as well as the PAM module.