Windows login failing, with no errors?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Apr 5 10:42:22 EDT 2010

Tom Medhurst wrote:
> Thanks Douglas,
>
> I removed the policy host/wdesk3.tnet.loc using kadmin.local and added
> it back in again with a known password. (ank -policy hosts
> host/wdesk3.tnet.loc).
>
> I then used ksetup on the windows 7 machine (wdesk3) to set the
> machine's password (ksetup /SetComputerPassword MYPASSWORDHERE)
>
> I then used ktadd to add host/wdesk3.tnet.loc into my keytab (gave the
> path using the -k switch).

Don't do this step. Keytabs are only used for holding the keys for a
service and each service normally has its own keytab located on the
service machine. The key for your host is held on the host machine.
On Windows the ksetup /setcomputerpassword stores the password so
a key can be generated on the fly by Windows.

The ktadd also changes the key in the database, as it updates both
a keytab and the database.

The /usr/local/var/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab is used for the kadmin service.
It does not have host principals.

The Kerberos protocol is based on a shared secret between the KDC and
the user, and a shared secret between the KDC and a server.

Kerberos stores keys in the database and in keytab files when the principal
is created or modified. The keys are generated from passwords or random
data and then the passwords are discarded.  Microsoft stores passwords in
AD and on Windows machines, and will generate the keys from the stored
password when ever needed. Which approach is better is not important here,
what is important is that you need to have the Kerberos KDC generate a key
to store in the database from some password, and also use ksetup to store
the password on the Windows machine.