Recommnended way to get krb5.keytab files for KfW installations on Windows

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Oct 26 10:35:56 EDT 2009

Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since the kadmin utility is not included with the current KfW bundle
> from the MIT Kerberos web site (version 3.2.2), is it "safe" to
> create krb5.keytab files for KfW using kadmin on a Unix machine and
> transfer the file to the Windows box?
>
> (Yes, I heard about ktpass.exe, but that's kind of awkward to use
> because of the username/principal mapping stuff that needs to be taken
> into account. Or is ktpass.exe the recommended utility and the kadmin
> on Unix+file transfer approach thus discouraged?)
>
> I'm using KfW on a current (all updates applied) WinXP Professional
> system.
>
> So, what's the easiest (and recommended) way to get krb5.keytab files
> that are usable by KfW installations?
>
> (I need this for accessing a kerberized Samba server, a kerberized
> sshd using PuTTY/WinSCP, and a kerberized FTP server; all of these
> services are running on the same host).

Are you sure you need the krb5.keytab on the Windows side? Sounds like
the XP system is the client only. Unless you are trying to use a keytab
with kinit, a keytab is normally only needed on the server side. Can you
describe what OSes are running on the servers and the clients? Are you trying
to run some non-interactive client?