RFC 3962 and DK(tkey, "kerberos") function

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 9 09:48:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 21:26 -0400, kerberos at noopy.org wrote:
> It looks like "kerberos" has to be folded (maybe
> n-folded) somehow so that I can use it as my IV, but I am not quite
> sure I'm on the right track.

You do need to n-fold "kerberos" to the block size (128 bits).  I'm not
sure I can describe n-fold better than the RFC; I suggest using the test
vectors from RFC 3961 to determine when you've gotten it right.

You do not need to fiddle with IVs.  Once you have n-folded "kerberos"
to 128 bits, you just encrypt those 128 bits with the intermediate key
to produce the 128 bits of the final key.  For AES-256, you encrypt the
first 128 bits of the final key with the intermediate key (again) to
produce the other 128 bits of the final key.  Again, I suggest using the
test vectors from RFC 3962 as an authoritative check, in case you're
making incorrect assumptions about the usage of ktpass.exe.

Best of luck!