preauth (timestamp) verify failure: Decrypt integrity check failed

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu Oct 8 08:42:29 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Oct 08 16:09:14 bungarus krb5kdc[1710](info): preauth (timestamp) verify
failure: Decrypt integrity check failed
Oct 08 16:09:14 bungarus krb5kdc[1710](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16
23 1 3 2}) 192.168.2.41: PREAUTH_FAILED: jjones at UMRK.NL for krbtgt/
UMRK.NL at UMRK.NL, Decrypt integrity check failed

This is an error that I can't seem to figure out. I'm trying to use SSH
to log into a Debian lenny system that uses MIT Kerberos V v1.6 and
OpenLDAP v2.4.11. The lab host, bungarus, has both the server and client
software installed. It was working for a while, but now this.

I've been following this howto:
My PAM configuration is exactly the same.

It can't be a timesync problem, because I'm using only a single host. The
strange thing is, I can log in with user jjones as soon as I make a
matching unix account on the host: then I can log in with either the unix
password or the Kerberos password. But, as soon as I get rid of the unix
account, the above error returns.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jaap