msktutil requires seperate account for each service principal?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Oct 5 10:35:15 EDT 2009

John Hefferman wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies. Using msktutil with multiple -s options would probably be better.
>
>> IMHO I would use separate accounts for each principal.
>
> Other than only being able to kinit -k as one of the SPN's, and having to specify all SPN's if a new SPN is to be added, are there any other disadvantages to doing it this way?

Keeping the DC and the keytab in sync is the main issue.

There may be security issues, if the keytab is shared between two applications
not at the same trust level. For example if you run your HTTP server as a non-root
user for security reasons, you don't want to share the keytab with the host/fqdn
principal. And AD complicates this even more, as with RC4 the same key is used
for both.  Best to use the conventional Kerberos wisdom of don't share keys
between multiple principals.

Its not hard to use msktutil in this way, just have a naming convention
for the hosts. Use the --computer-name keeping it to 19 characters or less,
all lower case. something like service-simplehostname works well.
The base does not have to be in CNu=Computers either. Work with you AD admin
on a location, and use the msktutil --base option.