MIT kinit with AD userPrincipalName with SMTP domain and not proper realm?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 21:34:33 EST 2009

Well it's all coming back to me now. It seems this has been discussed before:

  http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2007-October/012373.html

The userPrincipalName is only used if the principal type is 10
(KRB5_NT_ENTERPRISE_PRINCIPAL or perhaps GSS_C_NT_ENTERPRISE_PRINCIPAL
if GSSAPI supported such a thing). AD will also canonicalize the
supplied name in the AS-REP to the sAMAccountName at dnsRoot.

As for the domain, I'm still a little fuzzy there as well. I would
have to take some captures to see if the Windows client tries to
lookup the domain name supplied or if it simply ignored the @domain
and sent the AS-REQ to the default authority.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
Java Active Directory Integration