ktpass fails to create a service principal (win 2000 server SP4)

Julien Montmartin jmontmartin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:55:42 EST 2009

Hi List,

I'm working on a kerberized application server and I have some trouble when
I try to generate the keytab with ktpass... Although evrything works nicely
for demo in the lab, it fails in real world !

Here the command I use (windows 2000 server SP4)  :

ktpass -ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL -princ HTTP/
myComputer.private.myCompagnie.com at PRIVATE.MYCOMPAGNIE.COM -mapuser
testUser at private.myCompagnie.com -pass xyz -out C:\temp\keytab
Failed to get DN from search result: 0X80070057
Failed to locate user "(samAccountName=testUser at private.myCompagnie.com)".
Failed to retrieve user info for testUser at private.myCompagnie.com: 0x8ad.
Aborted.

testUser is a brand new user created for the service. Are there any traps
when you create new users in AD ? (I'm a beginner with AD). Any idea or
pointer to investigate this error ?

Thanks,

Julien