Maximum size of a Unix MIT Kerberos database backend

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 9 01:21:47 EST 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 09:20, garnett wrote:
> In our University I wish to centralize authentication in a Linux MIT
> KDC. This operation will spawn a KDC with about 30 000 principals. Is
> it a problem for Kerberos MIT implementation ? We will run the 1.6
> version bundled with Debian Lenny.
>
> Is there a need for tricks to handle such a database ?

No, there shouldn't be.  You may want a slave KDC or two for
redundancy in case of hardware problems -- with that many entries it's
probably going to be a critical service for a lot of people -- but in
terms of disk space and cpu load, just about any desktop or server
system you can buy off the shelf these days should be able to handle
it easily.

Ken

--
Ken Raeburn / raeburn at mit.edu / no longer at MIT Kerberos Consortium