Issues starting kadmin on suse linux

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu May 21 11:13:44 EDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 08:50, Tadoori (EXT), Vilas wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I  have downloaded the following version
>
> krb5-1.6.3-signed.tar from the consortium and was able to
> configure , make and install as per the install guide provided as
> per the steps below
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> It installed fine, when I went to the /usr/local/sbin and started
> the ./kadmind
>
> I get the following message
> kadmind: No such file or directory while initializing, aborting

Ugh.  We still have too many error messages that don't provide enough
information.  The simple and quick way, if a bit ugly for non-
developers, is probably as Luke Scharf suggests, to just run it under
strace and see what it's doing.  Then, please file a bug report (email
to krb5-bugs at mit) and let us know which missing file is reported in
such a vague and useless manner.

 From your description, it's not clear to me: Was this machine already
set up as a KDC with an earlier version of the code?  If not, then
there's probably no existing database on the machine, and that might
be what kadmind is complaining about.  Other things I'd check would be
the locations of the config files krb5.conf and kdc.conf vs what the
program is looking for.  (We made kdc.conf optional at one point --
all the info could go into krb5.conf if you wanted -- and I *think*
that was part of the 1.6 code base, but couldn't swear to it, and
haven't time to check at the moment, sorry...)

--
Ken Raeburn / raeburn at mit.edu / no longer at MIT Kerberos Consortium