clustered NFS - kerberos - mount failure

Chinmay P Soman chinmay.soman at in.ibm.com
Thu Mar 26 02:59:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to configure a NFS server with kerberos support. The catch is,
the NFS server is part of a cluster.  Therefore, all the client mounts are
done using the
cluster name and not the server name.

For eg:    Let  cluster name =  Mycluster.domain.com     ,  server =
server1.domain.com

-----------------------

In this case, when my NFS client mounts as :
mount -o vers=3,sec=krb5 server1.domain.com:/tmp_share /mnt     =>  This
passes

However,
mount -o vers=3,sec=krb5 Mycluster.domain.com:/tmp_share /mnt     =>  This
fails.

I am guessing the gssd daemon on the server side is creating a context for
its localhost, which is => server1.domain.com

However, the request is meant for Mycluster.domain.com.  Hence, it fails
due to the mismatch.

Please clarify if my reasoning is correct. If yes, also please let me know
a possible solution

Thanks and regards

Chinmay P Soman
ctdb/panache research activities, SoNAS