Obtaining Service Ticket with TGT only (via shell commands)

Frank Gruellich frank.gruellich at navteq.com
Wed Mar 25 13:30:52 EDT 2009

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Frank Gruellich <frank.gruellich at navteq.com> writes:
>> Greg Hudson wrote:
>>> but I believe that would compromise the requirement that people have to
>>> reenter their passwords in order to run kadmin.
>> But that's, in fact, my intention.  I know, that kadmin is some kind of
>> critical tool.  If security aspects are the only problem with this set
>> up I'll drop them.  I accept that kadmin/admin service is just something
>> like host/eloy.example.com.
> The primary practical effect of this restriction is to implement the
> common security requirement that people re-enter their passwords in order
> to change their password.  If you drop the special configuration for
> kadmin, you will drop that requirement.  If you don't care, then you don't
> care.  :)

Oh, damn, that's a true impact...

> What I would do if I were you is have your script switch ticket caches,
> prompt the admin to authenticate and thereby obtain a kadmin/admin ticket
> using kinit -S, and then use that ticket cache for all your operations.
> Then, when you're done, kdestroy and switch back to their current ticket
> cache.

Then I'll prefer that way.

Kind regards,
--
Navteq (DE) GmbH
Frank Gruellich

Duesseldorfer Strasse 40a
65760 Eschborn
Germany

Phone:      +49 6196 77756-414
Fax:        +49 6196 77756-100

USt-ID-No.: DE 197947163
Managing Directors: Thomas Golob, Alexander Wiegand,
Hans Pieter Gieszen, Martin Robert Stockman