Unexpected return codes from KDC -- krb5-1.6.3

Mike Friedman mikef at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 27 18:53:33 EST 2009

This is a 'sequel' to my earlier postings about getting bad return codes
from the KDC.  However, I've moved from a binary Linux distribution to a
FreeBSD port of MIT Kerberos and my symptoms are a bit different, so I'm
starting a new thread.

My problem is this:

I'm using programs based on the MIT API to do authentication, via
get_in_tkt_with_password (or get_in_tkt_with_keytab), krb5_mk_req,
krb5_rd_req. (This is perl code using the Authen::Krb5 module, which I've
been running for a couple of years on my production 1.4.2 system).

If I have a principal that has any of the following set, then, even if I
supply the correct password, I get back a return code of 31 (decrypt
integrity check), instead of the more specific return code that would
correspond to the specific situation:

   CLIENT_NOT_FOUND
   CLIENT EXPIRED
   REQUIRED PWCHANGE
   CLIENT KEY EXPIRED

But if none of the above is true, then my authentication succeeds (RC=0)
if I supply the correct password, and fails with the expected RC=31 if I
enter an invalid password.

This is krb5-1.6.3 on FreeBSD.

> I am unable to reproduce this condition.  Is the krb5-1.6.1 KDC possibly
> built using the --with-vague-errors option?

Looking through the (now 1.6.3) build tree, I see no indication that
'--with-vague-errors' is being specified as an override.  In
src/configure, it appears to be specified by default, but I think that is
my own misunderstanding of the configure file, because my production KDC
(1.4.2) src/configure looks exactly the same in this regard and I don't
get this behavior there.

My symptoms seem very much consistent with the presumed meaning of
'--with-vague-errors', but I have the problem only on 1.6.3, yet it
appears that neither system is compiled with that option.

Is it possible that 1.6.3 defaults to '--with-vague-errors', unlike 1.4.2?
More specifically, how can I be sure whether that option was specified at
compile time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        Information Services & Technology
mikef at berkeley.edu                   2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://mikef.berkeley.edu            http://ist.berkeley.edu