computer account change password with Windows 2008 domain

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.com
Wed Jan 7 10:19:57 EST 2009

Michael,

I don't know what is wrong, but I do know that our product works fine with Windows Server 2008 and 2003. We use our own Kerberos and GSS-API library (not MIT or Heimdal), and Cyrus SASL with OpenLDAP.

We have seen a similar problem where Active Directory on Windows Server 2003 has the LDAP Server signing policy set in the domain controllers group policy. This setting means that AD expects SSL/TLS to be used for signing, but when Kerberos/GSS/SASL/LDAP is used the signing is done using Kerberos keys instead. It seems that MS AD has a bug which effects use of SASL/LDAP bind when this policy setting is made. This is a discussed at http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/56044016-3123-4859-8fd9-c5a461a1c5c81033.mspx?mfr=true and I have included some output below which was shown when this policy setting is made. Not sure if this helps at all ? Perhaps your Win2k8 domain has a policy setting which is non-default and is causing your issue due to a similar bug ?

SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Strong(er) authentication required (8)
        additional info: 00002028: LdapErr: DSID-0C09018A, comment: The server requires binds to turn on integrity checking if SSL\TLS are not already active on the connection, data 0, vece
Failed to connect to LDAP Server
Error occurred in netjoin while performing netjoin operations ( 0x00005102 20738 )
Cannot open connection to LDAP Server

Thanks,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Engemann [mailto:engemam at uni-muenster.de]
Sent: 07 January 2009 15:10
To: Tim Alsop; Michael Engemann; kerberos at mit.edu
Subject: AW: computer account change password with Windows 2008 domain

Hi Tim,

can you tell me than what am I doing wrong?
Even a simple ldapsearch that was functioning for Windows 2003 throws an error for 2008:

ldapsearch -Hldap://fqdn -b "" -s base -Omaxssf=0 -ZZ
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
        additional info: 00002029: LdapErr: DSID-0C09048A, comment: Cannot bind using sign/seal on a connection on which TLS or SSL is in effect, data 0, v1771

Thanks,

Michael