WS-Security and GSS-API: How do I get the session key?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 23 11:11:17 EST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 04:39, Speedo wrote:
> I guess this issue had been discussed before: WS-Security negotiates
> with Kerberos 5 but uses the session key in a different way from GSS
> tokens. Since GSS-API is the public API to access Kerberos 5, is there
> any recent progress in enhancing the GSS-API to provide a function
> like gss_get_session_key()?

I wouldn't say that "GSS-API is the public API to access Kerberos 5",
though I think it's generally preferred that you write application
*protocols* to GSS-API.  (Which means, among other things, not
assuming you can extract the session key and do with it what you like
-- or even assuming that there is such a thing as a "session key".)

If you write non-GSSAPI application protocols, there are still non-
GSSAPI programming interfaces....

That said, I believe the MIT 1.7 release will include an API for
extracting a session key if there is one, but no earlier release from
MIT will, and I'm not sure how portable that API will be to other
implementations.

Ken