Establishing client credentials (TGT etc.) with GSSAPI

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Fri Feb 20 19:17:53 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 01:24:06PM -0800, Chris wrote:
> I'm working on implementing Kerberos authentication from a C++ client
> to a Java service.  The Java service wants a GSSAPI context.
>
> Is it correct that, if you can't rely on default GSSAPI credentials
> (i.e. login identity and pre-cached TGT), then a client should use
> gss_acquire_credentials() to establish this?  I have tried this but
> haven't had success and just want to make sure I'm on the right path.

The GSS-API does not give you a way to acqiure initial credentials
(i.e., anything involving interaction with the user to obtain things
like principal name, password, smartcard/token PIN, ...).  That's out of
scope for the GSS-API.

IIRC JAAS does give you a way to do that, but I don't remember exactly.

What the GSS_Acquire_cred() and GSS_Add_cred() functions allow you to do
is to choose a credential to use when many are available.

Nico