webauthldap(SUNetID): cannot get ticket: Too many open files (24)

Fletcher Cocquyt fcocquyt at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 18 01:11:18 EST 2009

Hi, I am following the code now on this one - after posting to the webauth list
a couple weeks ago we are still experiencing  several hundred of these errors
per day - we have maxed out our file descriptors hard and soft limits at 64k and
verified with running plimit.

webauthldap(SUNetID): cannot get ticket: Too many open files (24)

Env: Solaris 9, apache 2.0.52, webauth 3.5.4, MIT kerberos krb5-1.4.1

Our apache threads are now approaching 250-300 open files (as reported by lsof).

I suspect the issue may be isolated to the webauth and associated kerberos calls
to related to keytab and ticket cache operations.  this suspicion is based on:
1) error only occurs on mod_webauth protected URLs
2) error is always associated with webauthldap(SUNetID): cannot get ticket: Too
many open files (24) messages

Hypothesis: This version of webauth & kerberos is somehow not using the 64k file
descriptor limit, but is using a 256 file limit and throwing the error on the
ticket operations when the apache thread has more than 256 files open.

there are other threads related to the use of char vs int resulting in return
value overflow...is there a kerberos bug in 1.4.1 version which is since fixed?

thanks