netidmgr maxing out CPU and can't be killed on Windows 7 RTM

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Aug 22 22:05:43 EDT 2009

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>> I have seen something like this on my XP box and I believe it was
>> netidmgr if that is the app that sits in the system tray. After some
>> time (days) it seems to be grabbing all the messages in the message pump
>> and suddenly all of my windows go crazy, flashing windows all over the
>> screen. I have to find my DOS window and kill it off and then things
>> return to normal. I don't think this is specific to Windows 7.
>>
>> I haven't had time to follow up as I have plenty of other projects on my
>> plate.
>>
>> Danny
> Danny:
>
> I have to say this sounds extremely unlikely.    If you have any
> evidence to back up this theory I would love to see it.

Unfortunately, as I said, it takes days to happen and at that point,
with *all* of my windows going wild it becomes extremely difficult to do
anything at all. I haven't see it for a long time, but only because I
stopped running it. I don't have any clues as to what's wrong but I
suspect this is in the message pumping. Do you do anything explicit with
message pumping?

> The problem that Mr Russ is experiencing appears to be related to
> interactions with Offline Folders and OpenAFS Pioctls.  I am following
> up with him to collect additional information.

Good to know.

Danny