Can I get more debug output from kadmin.local?

Chris lists at deksai.com
Tue Aug 11 22:01:50 EDT 2009

I have a problem in which I cannot get kadmin.local to start with the
ldap backend.

It was working once upon a time!  I started over after going through the
setup both with ldap and without.  Both times it worked.  Now that I
want to do it again with ldap, it's broken.  I've removed the old stuff
from the ldap servers, erased all key files and such.  I obviously did
something bad, but I have no idea what it is.  The problem is that the
output I'm getting is a cruel joke.

When I launch kadmin.local, all I get is "kadmin.local: Server error
while initializing kadmin.local interface"

Doing an strace doesn't show much either...

munmap(0x2b2cfd8fe000, 32790)           = 0
access("/opt/kerberos/etc/service.keyfile", F_OK) = 0
access("/opt/kerberos/etc/service.keyfile", R_OK) = 0
open("/opt/kerberos/etc/service.keyfile", O_RDONLY) = 4
fcntl(4, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)           = 0
fstat(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=69, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0)
= 0x2b2cfd8fe000
read(4,
"cn=kdc,ou=security,dc=someplace,dc=com#{HEX}abcdef...\n",
4096) = 69
read(4, "", 4096)                       = 0
close(4)                                = 0
munmap(0x2b2cfd8fe000, 4096)            = 0
write(2, "kadmin.local: Server error ", 27kadmin.local: Server error ) =
27
write(2, "while initializing kadmin.local interface", 41while
initializing kadmin.local interface) = 41
write(2, "\n", 1
exit_group(1)

I can bind to ldap using the stashed passwords just fine, and read/write
what I'm supposed to in the container and subtrees.

Is there any way to get some more output out of the program, just a
little clue?

Thanks,
Chris