krenew: error renewing credentials: KDC returned error string: NO PREAUTH

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 1 08:15:51 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 03:45 -0400, marcus.nilsson at pulsen.se wrote:
> I'm not able to renew TGT's:
[...]
> mani at irit:~$ krenew
> krenew: error renewing credentials: KDC returned error string: NO PREAUTH

Is the requires-preauth bit set on your krbtgt/MERA.NU principal?  For
reasons I don't personally understand, the "NO PREAUTH" error happens
when a TGS request with no preauth comes in for a service (not client)
principal with requires-preauth set.

Also, although I don't think this is at all relevant, krenew comes from
a different source package from MIT Kerberos, so you might test with
"kinit -R" just to remove that variable.