kadmind: Stored master key is corrupted while initializing, aborting

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 27 19:02:24 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:21:51PM -0700, Rob wrote:
> On Apr 27, 3:05 pm, Rob <isanamesp... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I'm trying to get kerberos V up and running and I've been hitting
> > weird problems on solaris 10.
> >
> > The latest is this error when trying to start kadmind:
> > kadmind: Stored master key is corrupted while initializing, aborting
> >
> > Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to fix it?
> >
> > FWIW I am building kerberos from source.
> >
> > TIA!
>
> There is probably value in adding that I'm using MIT Kerberos of which
> I downloaded and compiled from MIT's site.

Why not use the native Solaris Kerberos?

Second, you need to be very, very careful when following the manual
instructions for configuring an MIT KDC.  Double check that.

Third, sometimes the native Solaris truss command can be useful in
seeing what is wrong with a user space program.  One quick way of using
it is to do:

truss -o /tmp/truss.out -u:: -fea kadmind

and look through the truss.out for functions that appear to be returning
error codes.  One thing that can confuse is the fact that truss reports
some random return code for functions that return void i.e. have no
return value.  'man truss' has more info.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.