Finding the version of kinit/klist

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 8 01:27:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Ken Raeburn wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2009, at 13:43, petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to determine the version of kinit or klist?
>
> I'm afraid not, aside from the krb5-config option you noted.
>
> It's still in our bug database, but hasn't gotten any attention yet. :-(
> (I knew it had been reported, but took me a little digging to discover
> that the bug report was, in fact, from you, back in 2006...)
>
> Annoyingly, our argument parsing setup doesn't handle long options on
> most platforms, and both the 'v' and 'V' one-letter options of kinit are
> in use currently.  But it looks like klist doesn't have a either option
> yet....

Thanks Ken, that will be very helpful.

With regards to kinit, what about adding the version as part of the
"verbose" output with the -V option?  That's certainly not unheard of,
OpenSSH prints the client version with it's verbose output.   And... from
what I can tell, the -V option isn't really all that useful anyway.  The
only thing I've ever seen it print is:

   Authenticated to Kerberos v5

after a successful authentication.

And speaking of the -V option... are there any plans (or could there be
plans) to improve the -V output?   Something that would really be helpful
when trying to debug problems would be to show the KDC it's trying to
access.