Linux/Apache - combine mod_auth_kerb and ldap - to be or not to be???

kerbie_newbie zarafield at sky.com
Tue Apr 7 17:05:43 EDT 2009

Thanks for the responses ... still a little confused though. In another
thread I've read

"
Anyone has an apache running with mod_auth_kerb AND mod_auth_ldap

At least in Apache 2.0, it is extremely difficult in Apache to get two
authentication modules to co-exist; Apache by and large considers any
particular portion of the URL space to be protected by only one
authentication scheme (possibly combined with IP address restrictions).
This is partly a limitation of Apache (particularly the configuration
syntax) and partly related to difficulties in the HTTP protocol (you can't
easily negotiate and attempt multiple authentication protocols in turn).

However, that being said, mod_auth_kerb does support:

KrbDelegateBasic on | off (set to off by default)
If set to 'on' this options causes that Basic authentication is always
offered regardless setting the KrbMethodK[45]Pass directives. Then, if
a Basic authentication header arrives authentication decision is passed
along to another modules. This option is a work-around for insufficient
authentication scheme in Apache (Apache 2.1 seems to provide better support
for multiple various authentication mechanisms).

The trick is that for this to work properly, mod_auth_kerb needs to go
first and then the other authentication module needs to follow
afterwards in the processing stack. That's something that modules can
control in their own C code to some extent, but I don't know how you'd
control this from outside without making code modifications."

"

Also, my server is not secure so Basic Authentication (which by my reckoning
does not authenticate against AD) is not an option.

Thanks again.