Kerberos protocol transition for linux?

S2 some.r at ndom.mail.invalid
Tue Nov 18 16:21:43 EST 2008

Hallo all!
In our small corporate we decided some time ago that in our intranet
"all" (when possible) services we write should use kerberos to
authenticate the users. This way we can have a central location to store
all identities and we can propagate the user identity from service to
service using forwardable tickets (well... this is what kerberos was
designed for :)).
As it happens to be, some of our applications need to be accessed from
the evil internet, and the users accessing them can't access our KDC to
get a TGT, so we use Microsofts ISA server to make the transition from
Forms Based authentication to kerberos tickets. Let me explain this part
just to be sure we are talking about the same stuff: ISA shows the user a
form asking for a username and a password, uses this credentials to get a
TGT from the KDC and then uses that ticket to authenticate to the
applications in our intranet on behalf of the user. ISA keeps a list of
SSO-Cookie-Values and kerberos tokens, so it can talk cookies to the user
and kerberos to the backend applications.
Now my question: is there something like this for linux? I just need this
basic functionality, and I think I may be able to implement this myself
in a few weeks, but I think such a critical application is better done as
an open source app (more eyes ecc. ecc. ecc.).

Thank you for any pointers.