kadmin help when using LDAP db (MIT kerberos)

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Nov 14 11:56:30 EST 2008

I am relatively new to kerberos, and as part of the installation of
freeipa, I am writing a script to be used by Samba for password changes.
I read about kadmin.local but the man pages says

"If the database is LDAP, kadmin.local need not be run on the KDC."

so I am unable to use it instead of kadmin that requires a password that
I do not understand very well how to supply, The fist time I started the
kadmin service on a CentOS server, it says it was adding a few
principals with these two commands

/usr/kerberos/sbin/kadmin.local ${KRB5REALM:+-r $KRB5REALM} -q "ktadd -k /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab kadmin/admin${KRB5REALM:+@$KRB5REALM} kadmin/changepw${KRB5REALM:+@$KRB5REALM}"
/usr/kerberos/sbin/kadmin.local ${KRB5REALM:+-r $KRB5REALM} -q "ktadd -k /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab kadmin/`hostname`${KRB5REALM:+@$KRB5REALM}" 2> /dev/null && success

This immediately disabled the usage of kpasswd (unable to find KDC
error) or kinit with a expired password

how can I use the network version of kadmin in order to change a user
password? which principal can i use with the right privileges:

"change_password: Operation requires ``change-password'' privilege while
changing password for ..."

do kadmin only replaces the password? or do it reset last password
change date/time and related fields?

Thanks in advance