Problems with authenticating to a Win domain controller

radaczynski@gmail.com radaczynski at gmail.com
Thu May 29 02:30:09 EDT 2008

On May 28, 5:47 pm, "Douglas E. Engert" <deeng... at anl.gov> wrote:
> radaczyn... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I've recently encountered a strange error when trying to get a ticket
> > from a W2k domain controller. My setup is like this:
>
> > 1. krb5.conf:
> > [libdefaults]
> >         default_realm = DOMAIN1.COM
> >         forwardable = true
> >         proxiable = true
> >         dns_lookup_realm = false
> >         dsn_lookup_kdc = false
> >         v4_instance_resolve = false
> >         v4_name_convert = {
> >                 host = {
> >                         rcmd = host
> >                         ftp = ftp
> >                 }
> >                 plain = {
> >                         something = something-else
> >                 }
> >         }
>
> > [realms]
> >         DOMAIN1.COM = {
> >                 kdc = aaa.domain1.com:88
> >         }
>
> > [domain_realm]
> >         .domain1.com = DOMAIN1.COM
> >         domain1.com = DOMAIN1.COM
> >         .domain2.com = DOMAIN2.COM
> >         domain2.com = DOMAIN2.COM
>
> > [appdefaults]
> >         pam = {
> >             debug=false
> >             forwardable=true
> >             krb4_convert=false
> >         }
>
> > DOMAIN2 is a trusted domain of DOMAIN1
>
> > now, when i do this:
> > kinit myu... at DOMAIN2.COM
> > Password for myu... at DOMAIN2.COM:
>
> > and i get a TGT:  renew until 05/29/08 08:55:12, Etype (skey, tkt):
> > ArcFour with HMAC/md5, ArcFour with HMAC/md5, the principal is: krbtgt/
> > DOMAIN2.... at DOMAIN2.COM
>
> > then I try:
> > kvno HTTP/test.domain1.... at DOMAIN1.COM
> > and get:
> > Server not found in Kerberos database while getting credentials
>
> This might be some cross realm issue. To get a ticket from
> DOMAIN1.COM requires you to first get a krbtgt/DOMAIN1.... at DOMAIN2.COM
> from DOMAIN2.COM.

Can you please tell me how to do it with command line utilities from
MIT kerberos?

> You set the dns_lookup_kdc = false, and did not define DOMAIN1.COM in
> [realms] so you client can not find the KDCs for DOMAIN1.COM.

actually, I did - I did not define DOMAIN2.COM, for which I do obtain
tgt's.

> It might be an issue that the cross realm trust is not set up as you
> think it is.

doesn't the above prove that the cross realm trust is set up?

> To verify all if these for sure, use a trace program like Wireshark,
> that can format the Kerberos packets.

I will do that and report back the results. Any hints for running it?

> > when I ty:
> > kvno HTTP/test.domain1.... at DOMAIN2.COM
> > I get:
> > KDC reply did not match expectations while getting credentials
>
> W2K may have returned a referral saying look in DOMAIN1.COM.
> But the Kerberos lib does not handle today.

That's probably it -> I should look in DOMAIN1.COM, since the service
principal is in DOMAIN1.COM.

Thanks for the reply and any further hints anyone could give me.