Kerberos V5 refuses authentication because Kerberos checksum verification failed: Bad encryption type

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.no-spam-here.tomsk.su
Sat Mar 1 00:09:43 EST 2008

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> What could be the reason that I cannot telnet from FreeBSD to Solaris 10
> with the following error:

> Connected to oracle.sibptus.tomsk.ru.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> [ Trying mutual KERBEROS5 (host/oracle.sibptus.tomsk.ru at SIBPTUS.TOMSK.RU)... ]
> [ Kerberos V5 refuses authentication because Kerberos checksum verification failed: Bad encryption type ]
> [ Trying KERBEROS5 (host/oracle.sibptus.tomsk.ru at SIBPTUS.TOMSK.RU)... ]
> [ Kerberos V5 refuses authentication because Kerberos checksum verification failed: Bad encryption type ]
> Password:

> Kerberized telnet and ssh work fine between FreeBSD systems, but
> Solaris is a problem.

You will laugh but ssh (gssapi-with-mic) from FreeBSD to the same
Solaris 10 host and back also works perfectly. The "checksum
verification failed" problem seems to exist only with telnet.

I can certainly live without telnet if I have a working ssh. However I
still would like to know the cause of the telnet problem out of academic
interest.

Is there a way to obtain more debug information from Kerberized telnet?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/