KfW 3.2.2 and plink on Vista

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 30 17:43:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
>> If it's plink (and I'm not saying it isn't), then why does plink work
>> fine on Vista using KfW 3.1.0?  It's only Vista using KfW 3.2.2 that
>> triggers the problem.  In other words, what's different between 3.1.0
>> and 3.2.2 that triggers the problem... and only on Vista?
>
> Its not Vista.  Its KFW 3.1 vs 3.2.

So how come 3.2 works fine with my existing plink on XP?  Sorry, not
trying to be difficult, I just need to be able to clarify (to my
management) why we only see this on Vista and what it will take to fix it.

> The GSSAPI implementation was replaced between those releases.  In 3.1 a
> single mechanism GSSAPI implementation was included.  In 3.2 a
> multi-mechanism implementation is included.  In 3.1 the GSSAPI could
> refuse to deallocate memory that wasn't allocated by the mechanism.  In
> 3.2 the GSSAPI does not.
>
> plink/putty has a bug.  I know it has a bug because the bug was fixed a
> long time ago.  the bug was masked by KFW 3.1 and is not masked by 3.2.

OK.  I wasn't trying to dispute the possibility of a bug in plink/putty...
I was just looking for a more detailed explanation.  Thanks for providing
it.  But I still would like to see a reason for why 3.2 works on XP if you
know.

> Please get a new putty.

Unfortunately, since the GSSAPI patch I have is for 0.58, I'll need to do
quite a bit of work to get it into 0.60 (the latest version of PuTTY).
Since this problem only seems to occur with KfW 3.2.2, I need to weight
the advantages of upgrading to 3.2.2 vs the time it will take to adapt my
patch to PuTTY 0.60 and test.